DO NOT GO GENTLE
CHRISTINE TAMMER & ERIN MCCUSKEY
We hope you will come and view our beautiful, one night only work:
Do Not Go Gentleby Christine Tammer & Erin M McCuskeyWhite Night BallaratSaturday March 4th 7pm – 7am (Sunday)Chancery Lane Ballarat
The work will loop every half hour and will look fab after 9pm
An emotionally moving projection work inspired by the Dylan Thomas poem Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night.
Christine & I have just completed this new work together and we are incredibly proud of it. It is a work is about time, memory and dying, created to engage audiences in their own memories of love ones past and elders in your present.
The soundtrack resonates and reverberates between your heart and memory taking its own breath. Created by Christine Tammer the soundtrack bumps up against those emotions we hold so close. Erin McCuskey’s visual work is nuanced with a strangeness that beckons and teases memories to appear. Time is the constant, clicking between heartbeat and echoes of generations.
We are honoured to share the beauty of Do Not Go Gentle through the vocals of Dylan Thomas from his BBC recordings, have it reflected in the heritage footage from Erin & Christine’s family, the National Library of Congress beside images of women elders preparing to battle time. The work movingly evoking concepts of dark, night and age, of light passing, of wisdom gained, encouraging viewers to consider their own time, their own elders and the time they have left together.
Full Credit list for Do Not Go Gentle by Christine Tammer & Erin M McCuskey
Commissioned by White Night Ballarat from a concept proposed by Christine Tammer.
- Music: Christine Tammer (Christine Tammer Music)
- Film/Video: Erin M McCuskey (Yum Studio)
- Inspiration: Dylan Thomas (Do Not Go Gentle – BBC)
- Handler: Sam Redston (DAE White Night Pty Ltd)
With thanks to all the beautiful elders who agreed to be part of this work:
- Aunty Marlene Gilson
- Dulcie Corbett
- Robyn Sedgwick
- Liz Blizzard
- Linda Franklin
- Julianne Everleigh
- Marg Dobson
- Frances Salenga
- Debra Lord
- Anne Baxter
- Christine Hickson
- Vicki Coltman
- Lynden Nicholls
- Christine Tammer
- Vikki Nash
- Shirley Baxter
- Rosalind Lawson
- Jill Blee
- Annie Drum
- Patrice Braun
- Lynden Baxter
- Dona Pentland
- Katheleen McLean
- Monica E Langford
- Jean Laing
- Colleen Filippa
- Dylan Thomas recording BBC World Wide Learning.
- Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
- McCuskey Family Archive.
- Tammer Family Archive.
Thanks to those who have supported our work:
- Michael Gwyther (Yum Studio)
- Jim Austin & Julianne Everleigh (Federation University)
- Dominic Monea & Vikki Nash (Oxygen College)
- Alexander Herbert (BBC Worldwide)
- Kat Pengelly (Koshka)
- Loretta Hyland
- Angela Robinson
- Mitty Chibnall
- Mayor Samantha McIntosh (City of Ballarat)
- Sharon Knight MP (State Member for Wendouree)
- Catherine King MP (Federal Member for Ballarat)